Visit Williamsburg VA & Take An Unforgettable Day Trip to Washington DC.
After exploring the history of our nation's beginning during your visit to Williamsburg VA, take a day trip to Washington DC and tie it all together! The Capital city is about a 2.5 hour drive from Williamsburg, so for your day trip, don't try to do too much! Pick one or two sights you want to visit, and if you have more time you can keep going. Some of the most popular locations:
- Arlington National Cemetery - Visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the graves of President John Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. You can also visit Arlington House, Robert E. Lee's former home.
- Mount Vernon - One of the first historic preservation projects in the US, Mount Vernon was George Washington's beloved home. You can view the mansion, tour the grounds, once a working estate.
- Visit the US Capitol - You must be part of a guided tour; free tickets are available just outside at the Capitol Guide Service Kiosk.
- Smithsonian Museums
- National Archives Building - This is where we keep the paperwork! The Charters of Freedom, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are housed here.
Another great way to plan for an easy-to-do Washington DC day trip is to go on your own walking tour of the National Memorials. Particularly if it's good weather, this is a great way to see some of the most historic sites of Washington at your own pace:
- Washington Monument
- Lincoln Memorial
- Jefferson Memorial
- Vietnam Memorial
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
- National WWII Memorial
This tour probably takes about 3-4 hours, so plan accordingly. It's also a lot of walking, so make sure your feet are comfortable and you're dressed for the weather.
Although it's nearly impossible to see everything in one day trip to Washington DC, these are some of the best sights. Now you'll know what you want to see during your next visit to Williamsburg!