Volunteer Opportunities In Williamsburg VA
Get involved in your local community! Help out your neighbors and contribute to the betterment of your community when you choose to volunteer in Williamsburg VA. Below are volunteer opportunities to help you get involved.
- ACT-SO (Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological-Scientific Olympics) ACT-SO provides African-American high school students with opportunities to practice and discover their talents. Volunteer opportunities include recruiting students, coaches, mentors and qualified judges in the areas of visual and performing arts, humanities, science and business. For more information, call 253-0841.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Williamsburg The Big Brothers Big Sisters program provides mentors for local children. Volunteer to serve as a mentor for children in Williamsburg, James City County and northern York County. Call 253-0676 for more information.
- Historic Jamestowne - Bring this historic site to life for all visitors.
Historic Jamestowne needs volunteers to greet and orient visitors to our site in the Visitor Centre, Fort Site and Archaearium Museum. The volunteer positions are for 4 hours per week, Sunday - Saturday. Our current needs are for volunteers who are interested in working afternoons and weekends. If you are interested in helping us promote this premier historic site, please visit our website at www.historicjamestowne.org. For more information, contact 757-856-1250.
- Cancer Care Foundation of Tidewater The Cancer Care Foundation provides assistance in oncology centers in Williamsburg, Newport News, Hampton and Gloucester. Volunteer on weekdays to lend a helping hand. Get more information by calling 286-8804.
- Child and Family Connection This organization links families, children and caregivers to resources that nurture children's positive development. If you want to volunteer, you can assist families in searching for child care services, prepare training materials and coordinate registration, or schedule appointments and make follow up phone calls. Call 229-7940 for more details.
- Heritage Humane Society: Heritage Humane Society is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the welfare of all companion animals. They care for injured, ill, stray, and unwanted companion animals of Williamsburg, James City County and the First District of York County. They participate in community events, adopt-a-thons, visit local schools to teach humane education and take adoptable animals to local nursing homes for pet therapy visits. Volunteers are always needed, so please call (757) 208-0382 or email email@example.com.
» Find out more information about the Heritage Humane Society.
- Historic Triangle Senior Center's RIDES The RIDES program provides transportation for Williamsburg-area seniors to their medical appointments. Volunteer as often as you'd like as a driver or in the office. Learn more by calling 345-6166.
- Housing Partnerships This group helps out with home repair and improvement projects throughout the community. Volunteer on the weekends or during the week with various projects, including painting, yard cleanup, installing handicapped safety rails and ramps, bathroom and plumbing repair, window, door, flooring and roofing repairs, etc. Call 221-0225 for details.
- Human Relief Organization The Human Relief Organization provides assistance in many areas of life to less fortunate countries of the world. Volunteer at their Hampton office to help offer medical assistance, education, food, clothing and a message of hope to people in need. For more information, call 838-1749.
- Langley Air Force Base Retiree Activities Office Retirees and couples find fulfillment in volunteering a few mornings each month to disseminate information to other military retirees in Hampton Roads. Training is also provided. For more information, call 764-7386.
- Local HOSPICES: Heartland Hospice, Hospice Support Care of Williamsburg at Hospice House, Personal Touch Hospice. These community organizations offer caregiving services and companions to those with life-limiting illnesses. Volunteer to visit these individuals for socializing, emotional support and caregiver relief. Other volunteer opportunities are also available. Call Heartland Hospice at 594-8215; Hospice Support Care at 253-1220; Personal Touch Hospice at 595-8005.
- Pawsitively Precious Adoptions Love pets? Why not help with cat and kitten care at the PetSmart and PetCo adoption centers in Williamsburg? Volunteer opportunities include cleaning and feeding, showing kindness to cats and kittens and answering questions for potential adoptive families. Work around your schedule. Call 565-1632 for details.
- Peninsula Foster Grandparent Program Are you 60 or older? You can volunteer to mentor a special-needs child in Williamsburg, Newport News, Hampton, York County or James City County. Volunteers receive a tax-free stipend, free training and reimbursement for physical exams and travel expenses. Call for more information: 727-1858.
- Rita Welsh Adult Literacy Program This community service program provides tutoring for adults. Get involved by taking their one-hour orientation class and helping other adults in the area. For more information on volunteering, call 221-3325.
- The Salvation Army Year round, the Salvation Army provides incredible services to the underprivileged, including a music program for children, Angel Tree, life skills classes, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, Seniors Luncheon and many, many others. Offer a helping hand by volunteering to answer phones, stuff envelopes, distribute food boxes and donations, or even be a bell ringer. The Salvation Army is located at 151 Kristiansand Drive, Suite 109, Williamsburg. Call for information on volunteering: 229-6651.
- Transitions Family Violence Services Volunteer with this organization to help children and adults whose lives have been affected by domestic violence. Call 728-0025 for volunteer opportunities.
- United Way of Greater Williamsburg This nonprofit organization seeks to increase the quality and quantity of volunteer opportunities for adults, youth and families in the Greater Williamsburg area. Volunteer at one of the United Way's ongoing volunteer projects or one-time special events. Call 253-2264 for more information.
- Virginia Prostate Cancer Coalition This coalition focuses on education and advocacy programs and welcomes volunteers to assist with these programs, write letters or phone legislators. To discover more volunteer opportunities, visit www.vapcacoalition.org.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance This program helps educate and assist families in completing tax returns. Volunteers are trained in January and offer assistance through April 15. For more information, call 229-3316 or 229-9332.
Know of a Williamsburg volunteer opportunity that is not listed here? Tell us, and we'll add it!